The Inspire+ Mini Olympics is an annual event which has been taking place since 2008 when the South West Lincolnshire School Sports Partnership ran it. Inspire+ took over its running in 2011 and since then the scale of the event has increased year on year.
The Mini Olympics takes place at the Grantham Meres Athletics and Football Stadium usually within National School Sports Week. Each year the event will have a themed focused on a sporting event happening that year. These themes have included; London & Rio Olympics, the Rugby World Cup & the Commonwealth Games. Teams that attend will be given a country associated with the theme to represent and will then be challenged to dress to represent the country and also to produce a banner promoting that country. This always makes the opening and closing ceremonies particularly special to view and engages schools in an extremely competitive banner competition with the winning school receiving the John Hicks Memorial trophy.
The Mini Olympics is a multi-day event with all Inspire+ member schools invited plus associate member schools. Schools bring teams of their year 3 & 4 pupils with their year 5 & 6 Bronze Young Ambassadors supporting them. The charities secondary school Young Ambassadors and Sports Leaders are instrumental in running the day and planning prior to the day. The sporting zones that the teams participate in during the day are run by Inspire+ coaches and local clubs, a great way for clubs to engage with a large number of young people from across South Kesteven promoting their club.
Inspire+ Mini Olympics in numbers:
- Over 50 Primary schools attend
- Over 100 school teams
- Approximately 2500 Primary school pupils take part
- Over 70 Secondary School volunteers
- Over 200 school staff members
- Over 50 VIP’s, including sporting celebrities which have included; Dame Kelly Holmes, Hannah Cockroft MBE, Sam Ruddock, Jade Etherington, Chris Adcock, Anthony Clarke, Sophie Allen, Louis Deacon, Sarah Outen MBE, Jonathan Broom-Edwards and ben Smith
- 14 sports zones which have included; Badminton, Boccia, Wheelchair Basketball, Dance, Cheerleading, Rugby, Tennis, Athletics, Boccia, Netball and Golf.
The day is guaranteed to inspire and sends everyone home with a real buzz! Below are some quotes from people who have been involved in the games over the years.
Inspire+ would like to thank everyone involved with each years event for making it such a fantastic occasion; including coaches, teachers, volunteers and of course the event sponsors who we could not run this event without!